Friday, October 10, 2014

Creative way to eat Brussels sprout's



As a kid, did your mom ever tell you "to eat your brussels sprouts, they'll keep you healthy?"
That's because Brussels sprouts are high in vitamin C, Vitamin K, and vitamin B6

At our house, I try to make them yummy for our kiddos. They don't love them, but they will eat them mixed in with chicken, (and of course the encouragement to finish and get dessert after dinner)

I highly recommend not sautéing these to long or to high of heat. You start to loose the wonderful flavor, and the health benefits they contain sulforaphane, which is anti-cancer.  

Brussels sprout recipe:

Ingredients

  • 1 3/4 pounds brussels sprouts, outer leaves removed
  • 3 tablespoons organic unsalted butter ( we use organic valley brand)
  • 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
  • 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • Handful of pine nuts, toasted, divided
  • Half a lemon fresh squeezed juice

Preparation

 place brussels sprouts in feed tube of processor fitted with thin slicing disk; slice.

Melt butter with grapeseed oil in large stainless steal pan over medium heat. Add garlic; stir 1 minute. Add brussels sprouts; increase heat to medium and sauté until tender, about 7-9minutes. Stir in pine nuts and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. 

Bonus- we add a pre cooked chicken cut in bite sizes. (I buy my whole pre cooked chickens at costco for &4.99)

Also here are pictures of items I use:

You can find both of these at costco, the pine nuts in picture are from whole foods but costco has a better deal on them fyi. I enjoy using grapeseed oil, because It's a "high heat oil" so I never have to worry about when I'm cooking if the temperature is to high.  

Next week I'll post about organic pumpkin spice lattes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is made for my family and filled with memories for a lifetime. I will accept all comments that are positive, but any negative comments will not be shown.