Monday, August 12, 2013

Alivia- My first child, and 9 hour labor

My pregnancy with Alivia started out a breeze for the first and second trimester. She was right on schedule, and  I was healthy. I had been doing Bradley method class with my husband. ( best training we had ever received) I would strongly recommend Bradley method classes to any first time mom. It helped so much when I was in labor. I had planned to deliver her at Allen Birthing Center. But when my third trimester rolled around I developed a RARE case of " Intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy," what is ICP? It is a pregnancy-related liver disorder in which there are abnormalities in the flow of bile (a substance produced by the liver that aids in the digestion and absorption of fats). These abnormalities lead to a build-up of bile acids (components of bile) in the mother's blood, resulting in symptoms such as severe skin itching. 

It is the worst thing you could go through for the whole 3rd trimester I was severely itchy. I couldn't sleep well, I had to constantly have ice packs wrapped around my hands arms and feet and legs. No woman wants to experience it, I have to say it was much worse then the labor, and everyday I couldn't wait for her to be born. I am extremely thankful I didn't have it the whole pregnancy!
Most ICP pregnancy's deliver early and most even have still births. While I was nervous, I was also confident in Gods plan for mine and my baby's life!
Labor:
At 38 weeks pregnant on, October 5th,2009, at around 10:00pm that night the labor started! I had the miserable itching, along with back contractions. They started about 5-6 minutes apart. I had seen my doctor earlier that day and Ge told me I was dilated to a 3, and to prepare for labor in the next couple of days.
I had labored at home for the next 2 hours from10pm-12am. Soaking in the bath tub, breathing through each contraction. My wonderful husband would press my hips in for me each contraction, because it would release some of the pressure from the contraction. I had lots of back labor.

Going to hospital:
I finally got to where I couldn't take the pain anymore, and I could feel a lot of pressure down low. So I knew it was time to go up to the hospital. By this time my contractions were about 3-4 mins apart. The ride to the hospital was 30 mins, but felt like hours to me!
We arrived at the hospital, and found out I was dilated to a 6, and in full labor. Baby's heart rate was great and I was thankful my doctor let me go on and off the monitor, so I didn't have to stay on my back in bed. My favorite position was on my hands and knees, with my hubby behind me. Continuing to press hard on my hips! I did this for the next few hours. By around 6am I was dilated to a 9 and needed to push. The nurse told me don't, but I wasn't on any meds, and I knew I needed to listen to my body. I pushed little pushes with each contraction, my water broke. And wasn't long I was at a 10 and ready to push hard.
I was nervous the doctor wasn't there yet, and told the nurses to get him there fast. Because I felt the baby's moving down, (amazing yet painful feeling you can only experience when your drug free) and sure enough it wasn't more than 30 minutes from being dilated to a 10, Alivia was born! The doctor made it in time. Quickly putting on his gloves, the nurses had told me to stop pushing when he wasn't there yet. ( ha, I laugh looking back at the video of them telling me that. You never ever tell a mother with a crowning baby to stop pushing, it just didn't happen)
Alivia was born at 7:35am, October 6th. I can still hear the nurse saying loud 7:35!!
The doctor put her on my tummy immediately, and with my request, waited exactly 2 minutes before he (my husband) cut the cord. ( I did research and found this important for both mom and baby to delay cutting cord)
Alivia was healthy, and even latched right away after delivery. She nursed a good 5 minutes on each side before going to see the pedi nurse to get cleaned up. It was the greatest feeling in the world to hold your baby after labor, and say "I did that!" Loud and clear for all to hear it can be done naturally!
We have the pedi nurse do the eye drops and the vitamin K shot. But we decided to hold off on the Hep B shot until she is older and crawling.
Alivia, is now 4 years old and I'm pregnant with our 3rd! She is a blessing and I am so thankful for all that God has and is making her to be!

Maggie's labor story will come next! Our 2ed child.




No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is made for my family and filled with memories for a lifetime. I will accept all comments that are positive, but any negative comments will not be shown.